Merino wool is naturally UV absorbing, but if additional UV absorption is required a special finish can be applied.
It is recommended by medical professionals to limit exposure to UV radiation.
Merino wool is naturally UV absorbing but as with all textiles its efficacy is limited by fabric density and colour.
Where additional UV absorption is required a special finish can be applied to create UV-Control Merino.
A UV absorbing finish is applied to the Merino wool product during dyeing or bleaching at either yarn stage, fabric stage or during knitted garment finishing. The finish can also be applied after dyeing either by exhaustion or by padding. After treatment the finish is fixed by drying at the highest temperature that is consistent with the colour and handle of the fabric.
- Can increase the Sun Protection factor by up to 20UPF units.
- Durable to dry cleaning and machine washing.
- Prevents yellowing due to UV light.
- Reduces fibre degradation for interior textiles due to UV exposure.
- Maintains handle and moisture management properties of the Merino fibre.
For further information about UV-Control Merino contact your local Woolmark Company office.